Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Before I Was A Mom...

Before I was a Mom;
I made and ate hot meals,
I had unstained clothing,
I brushed my hair every day,
I had quiet conversations on the phone,
I slept as late as I wanted and I slept all night long.

Before I was a Mom;
I cleaned my house each day,
I never tripped over toys or forgot lullabies,
I didn't worry whether or not my plants were poisonous,
I had never been puked on, pooped on, spit on, chewed on, peed on, or pinched by tiny fingers.

Before I was a Mom;
I never thought about immunizations,
I never held a screaming child so the doctors could give shots,
I never looked into teary eyes and cried,
I never felt my heart break into pieces when I couldn't stop the hurt,
I never got gloriously happy over a simple grin.

Before I was a Mom;
I never held a sleeping baby just because I didn't want to put it down,
I never sat up late hours of the night watching a baby sleep,
I never got up in the middle of the night to make sure everything was okay,
I didn't know how special it could feel to feed a hungry baby.

Before I was a Mom;
I had complete control of my mind, my thoughts and my body,
I didn't know the feeling of having my heart outside of my body,
I didn't know that having something so small could make me feel so important,
I had never known the warmth, the joy, the love, the heartache,the wonderment, or the satisfaction of being a mom.

Before I was a Mom;
I never knew that something so small could effect my life so much,
I never knew that I could love someone so much,
I never knew I would love being a Mom,
I didn't know the bond between a Mother and her child,
I didn't know I was capable of feeling so much.

Mckel read me this Poem just after Av was born and I remember her getting teary eyed reading it. I remember that I liked the poem but I wasn't a mom and had never felt these things. I thought about this Poem a few weeks after I had Connly and I looked it up and I cried reading it.I now know that all of it is so true. Days go by so fast now and I love spending every minute with Connly. It's not easy to be a mom. Its a lot of work and not a lot of sleep but ITS SO WORTH IT. I can't imagine my life without Connly. I can't get enough of him. I love the sweet spirit you bring to our home Connly. I love you so much little guy!

8 comments:

Hollie said...

Love it! so so true!

Kam and Jodie said...

Great Poem! I haven't had mine yet but I can already feel it. It is totally amazing.

matesen said...

Wow I loved that-it made me cry too! Being a mom really is the hardest, but best job ever! Love ya and thanks for sharing!

Shae & Kristin Reber said...

He is so handsome! I love it, and love that poem. . .so true right?

Lisa Nielsen said...

Yes now I am crying too! Can I copy this to my blog? I love the poem. I started reading it and thought "wow Keisha this is really good" I thought you wrote it:) I am sure you could! Being a mom is the BEST! I wouldn't trade it for anything...especially not sleeping in! See you this weekend!

Aaron and Bonnie said...

That is so true!! You are such a cute mom and I'm so glad to see you have posted. It was great to catch up last week and I am so happy you are doing so well.

Michael & Nikki said...

I love that poem. SO sweet. LOVE YOU and CAN'T wait to see you tomorrow!!!!

Christie Moss and Brenden said...

That is way cute! Yes you will have to come over once the house is done. There is a park like two blocks away so when Connly gets other we will have to have play dates there:)